Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Lots of Biff and an Augustine - Roadside Ramblings

If you know me a little you will be not surprised to hear that sightseeing and eating were not the only things on the schedule for Rome back in February and that there was also this guy with his band mates: 



And from Rome we went to Bochum ... 


and from Bochum to Brussles ... 


and from Brussels to Hannover ...



and from Hannover with a short break to London where Biffy supported Biffy with a mind melting set of early songs played old school as a three piece ... 



before they played a full regular set. I was so exhausted at the end I could not feel my legs properly anymore. It was wonderful. 




Of course this fine gentleman and also the one at the keys were back for the 2nd set: 




Then there were a few weeks break and then I went to New York ....




and from New York to a radio station in Philadelphia ... 



and from the radio station to a proper venue in Philadelphia ... 




and finally from Philadephia to Washington DC.



Of course a lot could be said about all those gigs. I could spend days of writing down all the things that happened, post set lists, point out rarities like the sudden appearance of "A Whole Child Ago" in Bochum or the wonderful "Wave Upon Wave" in DC plus all the things that happend aside of the gigs itself, but I won't. I have done this before and you are aware how much I love this band. No need to repeat that, right? 

So only a few words about what is going on here especially for the readers who never toured with a band.

All of these gigs were amazing, all of these gigs were different. It is never boring. I strongly feel that no day off work, none of the spent money, no mile traveled, no sweat, no hours in the cold, no tears, no invested energy was ever wasted on tour and that is not only for the incredible music but also for those wonderful human beings who deserve everything and more.
Even though this does apply especially to this band they are of course not the only ones. There are many talented, hard working, kind hearted people out there on the road who deserve that you stop by for their shows - and if you like it - maybe even for a second or ... lots of times. 



Since I witnessed several discussions about photos lately I
want to point out that no musician was harmed or hunted 
down for this picture. We just paused for a second in a longer
conversation which was neither the first nor the last one we had.

Touring with a band is a completely different experience than going to a single show. You move on to a parallel universe made of travels, wait time, build up, adrenaline and endorphine rush .... and REPEAT. It does not matter if you are in Bochum or New York - you barely feel the difference because you operate in a mobile microcosm with its own rhythm, schedule and rules. It is the quite ultimate escape from the ordinary world which is a huge blessing and a curse at the same time. More about that later. 


In New York City (sadly no info about the photographer)

The US tour .... this was such a special time. One aspect was of course that the venues were so small - about 1.500 on average for my gigs. That feels "a bit" different compared to 15,000 to 20,000 people per venue on the arena tour!
Easily as important as the people on stage though are the people off stage when you are touring. I would never ever do that alone and I luckily do not have to. Music is absolutely magical when it comes to bringing people together. I really wish for everyone to experience that kind of friendship and support. 
I am blessed with wonderful friends and gig buddies in Europe and now as well in the US. I mean ... how amazing is it to fly around the globe and just as if it was nothing to become part of squad of the best people? Of course ... some of my lovely US pals I knew before from their visits on our side of the pond but by far not everyone and yet it felt like a strong bond right away.
It was very special when at the final gig in Washington our group basically made up the whole barrier and build a chain of holding hands from left to right for "Different People". I could see the faces of the band on stage as well and it was one of these moments to hold on to for all of us. 



DC pre-gig barrier selfie by Nicci Bard

So baby won't you take my hand?
So we can do what the others can
We are alive tonight, we are alive tonight
I am going home forever and ever more
No I was never born and there's no such
thing as home
We used to stand so strong
That's why the others have gone
(Different People / Biffy Clyro)


And now let's have a look at the dark side of the moon.


Touring is a very intense experience and as wonderful and gratifying it is as exhausting it is. It also takes you out off what everyone else calls "normal life" or "reality". The come down is hard. It is hard after half a dozen of gigs as a fan and that gives you small teaser of how hard it is for the musicians and crew who tour a lot more and longer and venture much deeper into that parallel universe. The price you pay is called post tour depression and it is a real thing. Sometimes it lasts just a day or two and you can adjust quickly. Sometimes it lasts longer and you stumble through the busy world of regular daily life feeling sad, disoriented and weirdly alone. Your brain literally has to withdraw from that adrenaline / endorphine peak roller coaster. It is not just mind tricking - it is proper chemistry. Ever wondered why so many performing artists have problems to balance themselves? There you go - that's one of the main reasons.

I am always dreading the end of tour like hellfire because I am one of those who struggle. Good byes - even temporary ones - were never my strength and it breaks my heart a little every time. I developed my rituals to keep myself in check though ... with varying results. 


After the US tour I could postpone the worst part with extending my holiday for few days in Pittsburgh to see my friends (more about that in another post).
Then however came the flight back - on my own because most friends stayed behind and my travel pal went on a different plane. Post tour come down alone on a transatlantic over night flight. Awesome. Not. 


One of the rules I have for myself for these situations is to not listen to the same music like on the road because that makes it usually worse at least for while. As a result I found myself sitting there with the earbuds in switching through the music files on my phone looking for some saviors but the usual suspects did not work for several reasons. My choice finally fell on my Augustines playlist because I would go and see Billy McCarthy again only a few days later in Glasgow. I thought I better get myself in the mood instead of standing at the show still mentally offroad like a deer in the headlight. So I finally rolled up in my tiny economy seat and closed my eyes. And ... it worked! 
I slept(-ish) basically the whole 6.5 hours flight in a cloud of music on repeat. I know that might sound weird for some people but I at times have a hard time sleeping (not just on planes) and music helps me to relax and it does not need to be quiet music. I slept through Biffy's "Live at Wembley" so many nights or through Sucioperro's "Pain Agency" and "Fused" which are not exactly lullabies either. BUT it by far does not work with all music ... it is rather rare and I had never tried with Augustines before but now they are part of that small and very exclusive snooze club ;).

The logical consequence was obviously to ignore jet leg and exhaustion and buy another gig ticket and see Billy as well in Edinburgh. Two gigs are better than one gig, right? Right!
And ... it definitely was although I personally found the rather quiet crowd in Edinburgh a bit irritating, but I enjoyed it nonetheless because the gig itself was great. The show on the next day in Glasgow (I love my hometown crowds) then was bloody amazing and caused another proper gig high!!!





Only downside ... I of course felt rotten after two more gig nights and tried to squeeze in more but there was just no way. Let's see if I can make Belladrum Festival work though - there might be still a chance.

The call of the road ... it just never ever dies down.

For now stay tuned for the next post about my return to Pittsburgh and later in the summer you will also hear and read more about Billy as that fits right in with one of my main topics here about music, music industry and independent artists.


In the meantime have a look here:  
William McCarthy - Official Website
William McCarthy on Patreon
Rise : The Story Of Augustines 
 
Eric Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment